Lake Municipal Code - Lighting References
17.35.080 Site design standards.
1. For the purposes of establishing lighting
the following terms shall apply:
âCutoffâ means the point at which all direct
light rays from the bulb are completely shielded from view.
âFootcandlesâ means the measurement of lighting
level at the property line at ground level, as measured with a
portable light meter. The measurement shall be made after dark, first
lights on and then again with the lights off. The difference between
readings shall meet the standard for maximum permitted illumination in
âLuminaireâ means the lighting
the light source or bulb.
âLuminaire heightâ means the distance from ground
level to the highest point of the luminaire (including base and
2. Within commercial zones, all luminaires shall be
to have a cutoff of ninety (90) degrees or less, as shown on the
3. Maximum permitted luminaire height shall be twenty (20)
feet within parking lots and sixteen (16) feet within other portions of
4. Minimum permitted illumination within parking
walkways shall be 0.25 footcandles for low-intensity uses and 1.0
5. Maximum permitted illumination on site shall be
footcandles for low-intensity uses and 5.0 footcandles for
except that if the site abuts residentially used or designated land the
illumination adjacent to these areas shall be 1.0.
6. Decorative incandescent fixtures of forty (40)
less are allowed without approval.
7. Lighting fixtures and
luminaires shall be of decorative
design in keeping with the design theme of the site. Colors shall be
gray, brown, or other earth tone color to blend with the forest
8. Lighting shall not be used
for advertising. The use of
searchlights to attract attention is prohibited.
9. Lights shall not be allowed to blink, flash,
intensity or color, or give the illusion of movement.
10. Where exterior mounted lights are used to
signage or architectural features, the lights shall be sharply focused
directed to minimize light spillage. Backlighting is encouraged.
11. Exterior lighting shall be
reduced to the extent feasible
during hours that the business is not in operation, to preserve views
12. Security lighting shall be
directed downward so that the
light source (bulb) is not visible from off site, the light is directed
and the light level at the property line does not exceed 1.0
excluding public street right-of-way.
13. Upward lighting used to illuminate flags
shall be sharply
focused and directed to minimize light spillage.