General Plan Update, Citizens Response To
To: Sacramento County Planning Department.
Subject: General Plan Update, Citizens Response To
Please include and fully address the following topics and issues in the
upcoming General Plan Update.
1. Restoration, protection and preservation of the night sky and its
wonders. Restoration of the Milky Way in all parts of Sacramento County
should be considered a minimum requirement and a community value.
2. Recognize that "Night is a place all its own," - "We need to plan
for the night." In all aspects of the planning process, Outdoor
Lighting and its negative impacts should be fully addressed.
3. Recognize that the night is part of the natural habitat and that
most creatures require darkness at night, some at very low levels.
Further that very low levels of light from distant locations can
aversely effect many organisms.
4. Recognize that our citizens and community deserve the freedom from
light trespass and obtrusive lighting. That glare free low impact
outdoor lighting enhances our community at night and contributes to our
5. Recognize that proper outdoor lighting can preserve the night and
provide safety and security. Modern fully shielded fixtures reduce sky
glow, reduce glare, save energy, improve visibility and enhance the
look of our community at night.
6. Recognize that light pollution, sky glow, and light trespass are a
regional issue that every municipality should and must address.
7. Light Pollution as Sky Glow and Light Trespass knows no boundaries
and extends far beyond the originating property.
8. To fully address these issues Sacramento County should (1. Include a
Light Pollution or Outdoor Lighting Element in the General Plan (2.
Enact an Outdoor Lighting Ordinance. V-4-15
Created on ... March 30, 2007